Types of Nicotine for vaping
- There are two main forms of nicotine used for vaping: Freebase Nicotine and Nicotine Salt
- Freebase Nicotine is used in most traditional e-juices, but it is very harsh at higher concentrations
- Nicotine Salt is used in some modern e-juices and provides very smooth vaping at higher concentrations
Differences between Freebase and Salt Nicotine
- Freebase nicotine is volatile but easily absorbed in the body
- Due to its volatility, freebase nicotine is much harsher at higher concentrations
- This nicotine provides a stronger throat hit similar to that of smoking a traditional cigarette
- Common strengths used: 3mg, 6mg, 12mg, 18mg
- Nicotine salt is a more stable form of nicotine
- This form is harder for the body to absorb, but the salts used for vaping have been manipulated to allow greater absorption
- It allows for smoother vaping at much higher concentrations
- This nicotine provides a nicotine dose close to that of a traditional cigarette
- Due to its high concentration, these e-juices should be used at low power with restricted airflow
- Common strengths range between 10mg and 60mg
When using e-juices with nicotine strengths higher than 20mg, do not allow contact with your skin. In case of contact with the skin rinse it off with water immediately. Prolonged exposure to the skin can cause a nicotine overdose!
Even at lower concentrations it is safest to avoid e-juice contact with the skin and to rinse it off with water immediately after contact.
Do not vape higher concentration nicotine e-juices at high power with lots of airflow!
This is a very short summary of the differences between these types of nicotine.
For more information refer to the following article by Ruthless Vapor: